Since its inauguration in 2014, the International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law (IIJ) has trained more than 7000 criminal justice practitioners through its interactive capacity-building workshops – in Malta and abroad – that enhance the competencies of parliamentarians, judges, prosecutors, police, prison and other criminal justice practitioners to address terrorism and related transnational criminal activities within a rule of law framework. The IIJ, one of three institutes with a mission to implement good practices developed by the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) and other international and regional fora, delivers capacity-building training tailored to the needs of the regions it serves, including North, West and East Africa; the Middle East; and select engagement in the Balkans, and Central, South and Southeast Asia. For more information on the IIJ, please visit the IIJ’s website www.theiij.org.
Under the overall guidance of the IIJ Procurement Officer in close collaboration with the IIJ Director of Administration and Outreach, the Procurement Assistant promotes a client-focused, quality excellence, results-oriented approach and solution minded in the planning and execution of the logistical aspects of the IIJ capacity-building activities.
The Procurement Assistant must be multi-tasking, customer oriented, organised, precise, possess problem solving and decision-making skills.
The Procurement Assistant is part of the Administration and Outreach team.
Under the supervision of the Procurement Officer, the Procurement Assistant shall fulfil the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work collaboratively with all IIJ units and staff by assisting in the organization of trainings, workshops, and other capacity-building activities in Malta and abroad in the IIJ geographic region.
• Plan and manage the event logistics pertaining to the implementation of the IIJ events from start to finish according to the requirements indicated on the Procurement Form.
• Conduct research to source the best products and suppliers in terms of value, delivery schedules and quality.
• Build and maintain good relationships with new and existing suppliers.
• Negotiate contracts for goods and services, ensure contracts and terms are favourable.
• Maintain consistent understanding of the status of all IIJ events and ensure timeliness, quality, and accuracy of activities against IIJ internal policies and contractual and grant commitments.
• Monitor and maintain effective internal control and workflows; maintain the internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement.
AS AN IIJ PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT (Task Specific)
In collaboration with the Procurement Officer:
• Prepare Requests for Proposals/Quotations for all services required including accommodation, transportation, audio-visual, interpretation services, printing, food and beverage and other requirements indicated in the Procurement Forms.
• Analyse quotations and conduct cost analysis reports and setting benchmarks for improvement.
• Manage and keep track of all relevant documentation with both internal and external contacts.
• Prepare Purchase Orders where applicable.
• Communicate effectively with all concerned of any contractual deadlines, penalties and other important information.
• Evaluate flights options and make recommendations where applicable.
• Prepare rooming lists, transfers lists and logistics resumes.
• Coordinate deposits and other payments with the finance team.
• Coordinate all operations to ensure smooth execution of such events and step in to resolve any challenges the IIJ team might encounter.
• Maintain a centralized filing system for procurement documents including vendor information and purchase orders.
• Review and process invoices for the finance department.
• Evaluate event’s success and submit reports, where applicable.
AS A MEMBER OF THE IIJ ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM
• Provide administrative support and perform other duties, as needed, to support the IIJ Administration & Outreach and Communications functions of the IIJ.
• The Procurement Assistant shall be a full-time member of the IIJ team, based in Malta.
All interested applicants meeting the qualifications should submit a cover letter and resume to the IIJ Executive Secretariat at email@example.com clearly stating “Procurement_Assistant 2024” in the subject line.