Outreach and Communications Manager
ABOUT THE IIJ
The International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law (IIJ) is located in Malta with a mission to deliver innovative and sustainable capacity- building through the implementation of counter-terrorism-related, rule of law-based good practices developed by the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) and other international and regional fora.
Since its inauguration in 2014, the IIJ has trained more than 7000 criminal justice practitioners through its interactive capacity-building workshops – in Malta and abroad – that enhance the competencies of parliamentarians, judges, prosecutors, police, prison and other criminal justice practitioners to address terrorism and related transnational criminal activities within a rule of law framework. The IIJ delivers capacity-building training tailored to the needs of the regions it serves, including North, West and East Africa; the Middle East; and select engagement in the Balkans, and Central, South and Southeast Asia. For more information on the IIJ, please visit the IIJ’s website www.theiij.org
COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH MANAGER
The IIJ is seeking to recruit a full-time Communications and Outreach Manager who will play a key role in the external relations and brand management of IIJ. The Manager will work under the overall direction of the Executive Secretary and will report to the Director of Administration & Outreach to supervise the IIJ’s communication efforts, including with its alumni network and advisory board.
The Communications and Outreach Manager will be required to:
- Supervise the IIJ’s communications activities, identify opportunities to promote IIJ programmes, and lead the development of original online content to drive engagement rates, raise awareness and contextualize IIJ pro-grammes with its key stakeholders and target audiences;
- Implement the IIJ Strategic Communications & Outreach Strategy to guide the IIJ’s engagement with current and potential partners;
- Manage efforts to increase the impact of the IIJ Advisory Board and invigorate its Alumni Network, working closely with the Academic and Programmatic Units;
- Generate impactful content across platforms, including for the redesigned IIJ website and social media accounts, while maintaining a dynamic content strategy that keeps pace with IIJ target audience segments;
- Coordinate the work of the communications assistant, and co-develop media plans ahead of IIJ events;
- Represent the IIJ at meetings of external stakeholders (in line with priorities, processes and areas of focus) as agreed and directed by the Director of Administration and Outreach and in coordination with the Executive Secretary.
- Take responsibility for knowledge managementof IIJ internal and external products, including dissemination of external products relative to the IIJ’s mission and mandate, articulating standards, guidelines and templates for internal/external communications and IIJ publications.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in communication, marketing, public relations, media or information technologies or related field is required.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, communication, media affairs, or related area is required.
- A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Professional command of the English language, with excellent oral and written communication skills, and exceptional attention to detail is required.
- Professional command of French and/or Arabic would be an advantage.
- Experience in writing, producing and publishing communications in English such as annual reports, success stories, press releases, newsletters and leaflets is required.
- Experience in implementing communication strategies and in planning and implementing large scale communication projects or campaigns is required.
- Experience in internet and social media systems, applications and interactive tools (such as Twitter, LinkedIN, and YouTube) and with standard computer applications is required.
- Experience in video and photography computer-based programmes is desirable.
- Knowledge of outreach & communication principles within foundations, governments, and other institutional sectors desirable.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, to set priorities and organise work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a challenging environment; ability to work well under deadline and pressure is essential.
- Strong organisational skills, ability to foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Sensitivity to differences in culture and nationality with the ability to work closely with colleagues from across the world with a range of professional backgrounds.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with the experience of the selected applicant.
All interested applicants meeting the qualifications below are invited to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the IIJ Executive Secretariat at HR@THEIIJ.ORG by no later than 11 March 2022 with “COMS_2022” in the subject line.